Looking for something?
May 2013 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: Personal
well, well, well….look who’s back!!
yep. i’m back to blogging, after a painfully long hiatus. i never intended to just drop off the face of the earth, but a couple things happened. first, i shot two weddings in december, right before going on vacation for the holidays and then on a week-long work trip right after new years. oh, and the trip was for a giant event at work, which means i was working a lot of late nights in betwixt (yes, betwixt) the editing, traveling, and sometimes sleeping.
oh, and i’ve been sick twice since december. because, you know, i had all this extra time on my hands to just lay around.
in a nutshell, i was crazypants for ever taking on two weddings in one month, much less two weddings in december of all months.
so. i melted into a state of mere existence, completely leaving blogging in the dust.
but, i missed it. perhaps that’s a bit sad, but it’s true. i really did miss it.
so, i’m back. kind of.
here’s the deal. this blog started as a place for me to document my photography. a place to share my thoughts about the business, and a place to post photos as i completed shoots.
but then it turned into something more. i found myself wanting to add different elements to the blog, and i introduced style posts and travel posts and all sorts of posts.
but then i felt like the blog got all schizophrenic and weird and it wasn’t focused on photography anymore.
probably because i’m not so focused on photography anymore.
photography has been my life for the last couple of years. sure, i have a completely unrelated full-time job, but every waking moment and every free second was pretty much spent thinking about photography, or shooting, or editing, or blogging, or reading other people’s photography blogs, or emailing clients, or editing editing editing…
and i got burned out. just good old fashioned burned-the-heck-out.
so i’m taking a little step back from photography. i’m not done with it. not even close. but i’m going to be booking fewer shoots, and focusing on smaller projects. i’m not sure when, if ever, i’ll be shooting a wedding again. unfortunately i just got to the point where i can’t handle the workload a wedding brings on, and i miss having a life outside of photography.
i’m just taking a step back.
just because i’m not going to be spending as much time shooting, doesn’t mean i won’t still be blogging. like i said…there are lots of things i was blogging about outside of the realm of photography, and i don’t want to give that up.
so, i’m going to change things up around these here parts. as a cure for my blog’s schizophrenia, and an outlet for some of my new interests, i decided to start a new blog! it will be a place where i can blog about all things lovely…fashion + style. photography. delicious meals. travel. design. DIY projects. great books. and so on.
i am keeping www.anwenelizabethphotography.com, so definitely keep checking back here for photos. but this blog will now just be photos from shoots i do as part of my business–such as families, couples, babies, that sort of stuff.
from now on, all personal style posts, pictures i take for fun, travel posts, and all that jazz will be moving on over to my new blog…
so, if you enjoyed this blog (back when i was, you know, actually blogging), then i really hope that you’ll start visiting me over at my new digs. :)
so, yeah…that was a lot of words just to say…
hey kiddos, i’m back! some things are different, some are the same, and i’ve got a new blog called a little lovely. hope to see you over there!
so. i decided to book two weddings on back-to-back weekends. in december. right before the holidays. call me crazy…you are probably right.
i’m one down and one to go, but in order to maintain my sanity, i’m taking a blogging break this week.
don’t you worry your pretty little heads…i’ll be back full steam next week, with lots and lots of wedding loveliness to share.
and the wedding this weekend is in savannah, be still my heart. can’t wait to be back in my favorite city.
see you next week!
i kind of love everything about this outfit. the skirt is new, so that’s fun. and the deep blue just makes me happy. and obviously i’ve already admitted to my infatuation with the tied shirt trend. and those nude pumps always make me feel fabulous.
confessions of a white girl: the pumps aren’t technically the shoe color “nude.” nope, they are actually the shoe color “bone,” because my extreme whiteness was too much for “nude.” had to tone it down to “bone” to get that streamlined leg look.
but i think people would get weirded out if i referred to them as my “bone pumps.” although come to think of it, my ” nude pumps” isn’t much better. so what do i call them???
oh, the fashion conundrums.
tied shirt: forever 21
tank top: old navy
“The truly creative mind in any field is no more than this:
A human creature born abnormally, inhumanly sensitive.
To them… a touch is a blow, a sound is a noise,
a misfortune is a tragedy, a joy is an ecstasy,
a friend is a lover, a lover is a god, and failure is death.
Add to this cruelly delicate organism the overpowering necessity to create, create, create —
so that without the creating of music or poetry or books or buildings or something of meaning,
their very breath is cut off…
They must create, must pour out creation.
By some strange, unknown, inward urgency they are not really alive unless they are creating.”
-Pearl S. Buck-
Thanks to Emily Davis for sharing the quote! :) Simply beautiful.
it’s cyber monday, and i gave into the madness. except it’s not really madness, it’s actually brilliance!
see, i love clothes, and i LOVE great deals…
but i kind of hate waking up early, especially to do battle with crazy people and stand in line for hours. (ie…i’m not a black friday kind of girl. i mean, i still went shopping on black friday, but i went at like 2pm. i’m so not hardcore.)
anyways, back to the brilliance of cyber monday: i just shopped on my lunch break at work. i didn’t have to wake up early. i didn’t have to battle any psycho shoppers. AND i got some fantabulous deals.
but then i scooped up an extra 20% off code (HAPPYBLACKFRIDAY) from cup of jo!
my original total was $117.26. admittedly still a great deal for so many pretty things.
but then cyber monday came along and made my day even more awesome…and the grand total came out to 93.81!! for ALLL the things below!!
and bonus…ASOS offers free returns/exchanges…so it’s like a win-win-win situation. or something.
oh, and one more thing. i kind of love that all of the items i bought could be worn together. (well, you know, one pair of tights at a time, but you get my drift.) makes me feel like the money was even more worth it. 93 buckaroos for a complete outfit?
yep, sure, i’ll take it!
cyber monday…you’ve got yourself a new fan.
so i realized i blogged a post called “i need. i want.” during the week of thanksgiving. hah! could i get any more un-thankful?? geez.
in my defense, it was about needing and wanting good changes in my life, but if you didn’t read the post, you wouldn’t know that!
and really, i was talking to my mom about the post last night, and i got all whiny and complainy and all “what do i want to do with my life…omg i have no direction…i’m failing at everrryythinggg…i talk big game and neverrrr follow through on anything…omggggg…..”
i may or may not be over-dramatic on occasion. maybe.
really, i need to chill. yes, i feel all of those things at times, and i was feeling them when i wrote the post and i’m still feeling some of them at this moment. but the reality of life at THIS moment, this very second, is that i should be thankful for everything i DO have, rather than fast-forwarding my life and lamenting all the things i DON’T have yet.
so, as a reality check for myself, i am going to post a super awesomely cliche “things i’m thankful for” list on this lovely thanksgiving day 2011. so that when i’m being ridiculously slightly over-dramatic, i’ll have a reminder that i need to stop. appreciate. and just slowwww my roll. so, funny or serious, here’s my list…
1. i’m thankful that my dad has a job!
2. i’m thankful that my sweet grandparents are still alive and i get to spend another thanksgiving with them.
3. i’m thankful that my car hasn’t broken down in over a year. (knock on wood!!)
4. i’m thankful that i have a job with good pay and benefits.
5. i’m thankful that i have made some wonderful, special new friends this year.
6. i’m thankful that red mango opened in gainesville.
7. i’m thankful that my family is healthy.
8. i’m thankful that my mom is my best friend.
9. i’m thankful that Netflix streams movies and TV shows.
10. i’m thankful that i never have to worry about where i’m going to sleep or where my next meal is coming from.
11. i’m thankful that i have a dog who is half human/half cat.
12. i’m thankful that i have learned to listen to my body and treat it right with good food and exercise. (now just have to work on remembering this one…)
13. i’m thankful that i have lost weight and gotten into better shape than i have been in a long time.
14. i’m thankful that i get to wear tights, boots and scarves for the next couple of months.
15. i’m thankful that i have turned a hobby into a small business that allows me to save up money for traveling and other fun things.
16. i’m thankful that i have learned to love myself and embrace my quirks. (still a daily process)
17. i’m thankful for books. all of them.
18. i’m thankful for fresh market.
19. i’m thankful that i get to live close enough to my family to see them often.
20. i’m thankful for all of the sweet, supportive people who have encouraged me in so many ways this year.
alright, that’s obviously not an exhaustive list, and yep, many of the things are completely cliche…
…but it’s probably the cliche things that i often forget to be thankful for.
so don’t forget the cliches this thanksgiving.
put aside your needs and wants, and just pause.
i am love love loving two trends i’ve been seeing recently:
2) color blocking.
this was a bit of a weak attempt at color blocking, considering i just went with two different shades of blue.
but it’s baby steps, people. baby steps.
and tying my shirt?
well, i’ve done it three times in the last week or so.
yep, i’m a fan.
shoes: urban outfitters
sometimes i just want to push the reset button.
i want to wake up without all the chaos or complications whirling around me.
i want to feel fresh. clean. open.
i need to make some changes.
i need to reevaluate some priorities.
i need to learn to say no.
i’ve never been big on new year’s resolutions (they just stress me out).
but a new year feels like a blank slate and a fresh piece of chalk and complete freedom to just go for it…
…whatever “it” is.
a new year is an excuse to make the decisions you’ve i’ve been putting off all year because apathy is easier than action.*
a new year stretches out like a forest path, transparent yet cloudly, beckoning you into its mists and secrets.
it’s exciting. terrifying. refreshing.
i need to make some changes.
some i’ve decided on.
some are still being weighed.
some i may not even know about yet.
there are certain areas of my life i must focus on….
…for the sake of my health, sanity, and even my creativity.
so changes there shall be.
heh. i’m getting excited just thinking about it.
finally i am getting around to blogging about my trip to connecticut! i went up there over halloween weekend to visit my sweet friends sarah and jared, and to meet sweet baby adilyn! the trip was so refreshing, even though it didn’t go quiiiite as planned. (see #1 below) we ended up spending half the time at sarah and jared’s house, and half at jared’s brother’s house with his family…which really worked in my favor, because i got to see even more of connecticut!
to sum up the trip, i spent most of my time doing the following things:
1. surviving an actual, legit snowstorm. (it had a name–Alexander–and it knocked out our power. that makes it legit.)
2. drinking mulled cider. (sarah, i want/need that recipe! i’ve been dreaming about it!!)
3. watching the snow fall in total awe. (i’m a florida girl. i’d only seen snow three times before and NEVER quite like that.)
4. cuddling baby adi. (dude. babies are cute. extra cute when you get to hand them back to their momma when the general screaming/pooping/drooling starts.)
5. wearing a ridiculous amount of clothes. (partly functional, as in i-must-wear-three-layers-at-all-times-or-i-will-freeze-to-death, and partly fun, as in yay-for-winter-clothes!)
6. chatting with sarah and jared just like old times. (about anything and everything and nothing in between. perfect.)
7. running through airports like a crazy person. (only to miss my flight. woop woop.)
8. pretending like i was rory gilmore. (you know, because i enrolled at visited yale and all. if you don’t get that reference–or judge me for that reference–we might not be friends.)
9. taking pictures. (duh.)
10. reading the thirteenth tale. (fantastic, btw)
11. getting excited all over again every time i peeked outside and saw ALL.THE.SNOW. (dude. SNOW!!)
enjoy all the pictures…(of SNOW!)
one of the best parts of holiday sessions is getting to see my little baby clients grow up. i shot five mini-sessions on sunday, and four of the five are repeat clients and three of those five have kids under two years old. which means they have changed soo incredibly much between last year and this year, and it’s pretty much adorable.
and now look how grown up sophia is!!