Looking for something?
March 2014 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: Fashion
ever since i opened that j.crew email the other day, i’ve been opening all of them to see what other artsy, lovely marketing tactics they are throwing my way. i haven’t seen anything else quite as awesome as the no.2 pencil skirt, but it has made me start lusting after j.crew’s clothes more than usual.
but the funny thing is…i don’t actually own a single thing from j.crew.
gasp! shock! awe!
no but really…i love the brand, the style is lovely, and the quality is…well, quality…
but it’s got a hefty pricetag to match all that awesomeness.
while i’m sure it’s so totally worth every penny, i don’t have enough extra pennies laying around to make me want to spend them all at j.crew. if i end up with a piece of clothing from j.crew anytime soon, it will probably be from a consignment store, or mayyybbeee someday i’ll save up for a really special investment piece, like a warm coat, or a little black dress, or a great pair of boots.
but for now, j.crew is just a source of inspiration, a place to find style ideas that i can translate into more affordable options.
i love each of the pieces above, and they are all on my list of things i need (err, want?)…but for now, i’ll just have to drool from a distance. and while i sit around counting my pennies and wiping my chin, i’ll keep an eye out for some budget-friendly alternatives…because every girl needs a sequin shirt and leopard print belt, right? right??
i don’t know about you, but i get so many emails from j.crew/francesca’s/urban outfitters/modcloth/banana republic/piperlime/etc that i’ve started to kind of block them out. occasionally a message gets through to my oversaturated brain (like the sale i hit up at francesca’s last weekend), but more often than not i barely bother to click the button that makes the pictures appear in the body of the email. it’s open, skim, delete, forget. or, just delete.
but, i’m oh-so-glad i paused for a second and actually took in the loveliness of j.crew’s latest email blast.
the styling. the witty copy. the colors. the clothes. the pose.
we all know jenna lyons is pretty close to perfection herself (she’s the creative director for j.crew, in case you didn’t know), but really, when you can make a standard email marketing campaign into a work of art…that’s pure genius.
i was blown away by the response to my first ever personal style post yesterday…ya’ll are so awesome! glad everyone wasn’t completely annoyed to see photos of me on here…and since i’m still a little nervous about this whole style blogging thing, i figured i might as well keep the ball rolling and give you another one today! :)
so. this outfit. yep, there are birds on my dress. i’ve been embracing prints recently, and this one was too perfect to pass up. because really, who doesn’t feel more awesometastic covered in birds??
(ok, maybe people who are scared of birds, or saw the movie birds, or have been sky-bombed by birds, but these are harmless little printed birds who are just cute and not scary and now i’m digressing into complete meaningless rambleareyoustillwithme?! did you know i used to own a bird? ok i’m done.)
let’s break down this outfit beyond the birds…
i hit up the “buy one get one half off sale” (which is like the redheaded stepchild of the classic BOGO…they trick you into thinking you are saving money, when really you are spending more than you meant to. oops…) at francesca’s over the weekend, and the minute i tried on this dress i knew it had to be mine. when it came to styling it up at home, i went with a couple understated pops of color (rust belt/ring and hunter green tights) to add a little somethin’ somethin’ to the dress’ subtle color palette. and then of course, the cognac boots pulled the whole thing together. can you tell already that i’ll be wearing these constantly this season?
le outfit details…
belt: forever 21
ring: forever 21
tights: uhh…no idea. probably target.
i blog about lots of different things. photography, fashion, interior design, music, my dog, local adventures…you get the pictures. there’s not much of a rhyme or reason to what I blog about…it’s pretty much just whatever i find interesting, inspiring, or lovely at the moment.
so, all that said, this won’t surprise you one bit…i’m going to start blogging about even MORE things!
what things, you ask?
well. a couple different things actually. but i’m only revealing one today.
i’m going to start doing personal style/outfit posts. as in, photos of me, wearing an outfit, and talking about it.
photos of me. ummm, yikes!
i know what you are thinking…geez, wendy! narcissistic much??
well. perhaps. i think anyone with a blog must have some narcissistic tendencies. but you are still here reading this, so you must love me in spite of that. aww thanks. :)
but really, my reasons for doing outfit posts are simple:
1) i love clothes. (and i blog about things i love.)
2) i think getting dressed is an act of creativity. (and i blog about things that i have created or that inspire me to create.)
3) clothes can be a fabulously fun way to express yourself, and i wish more people felt like they could wear what they want to wear, just because it makes them feel awesome. i’ve only embraced this method of self-expression in the last year or so, and now i want to shout to the world…getting dressed can be FUN!!
4) i don’t think you have to break the bank to dress well, and people are always surprised when they find out that many things i wear are from consignment or thrift stores, or that i found a wicked good sale. so i want to share some stuff i’ve learned about how to look fabulous without making your bank account cry.
so. all that said, i want to throw a little outfit post disclaimer out there:
i definitely DO NOT think i am the most stylish person out there. (you can find those people here, here, here, and here.) i just want to share my love for clothes and personal style with you lovely people, and if it’s interesting to you…great! if not, well, part of the reason i blog is selfish–i like documenting my life and remembering what i’ve learned along the way.
so if i am going to be sharing outfits for the world (er, my mom and dad and the other two randoms who read this blog) to see, it will challenge me to be creative in what i wear, and it will help me learn even more what looks good on me and what doesn’t. there will probably be days you hate my outfits…it’s ok, i often decide halfway through the day that i’m not digging what i’m wearing. but that’s part of the process, and it’s all good. :)
ready for this new little adventure to start? heeeeere weeee goooo…..
oh wait, i have another disclaimer. seems like most the successful style bloggers lucked into marrying a photographer (see: Kendi Everyday) who takes all their pictures and makes them look like models. not hating on kendi, actually totally jealous, but yeah…no such luck for me…yet. :) (watch out photog boys…i’ve got my eye on you!) for now, you get little old me taking photos of myself in the mirror, old school myspace style. (minus the emo swoop and lipstick writing on the mirror…gotta keep it classy up in here, duh!)
where: breakfast at flying biscuit and shopping at the mall
it’s no secret…i’m addicted to scarves.
but, i would venture to say it’s for good reason…
a scarf can turn an otherwise so-so outfit into a
look at each of the outfits above…
would ANY of them be as lovely without a scarf?
i rest my case.
1. cozy comfort
2. sugary sweet
3. hobo chic
4. pop of color
8. preppy pretty
let’s get real…i don’t need any more shoes.
but without a doubt, i’ll make a few new purchases as fall gets underway.
and i will definitely be keeping these 5 c’s in mind.
lovely, versatile pieces that would fit nicely into my fall wardrobe?
Preach it, sista.
Cheers to the freakin’ weekend indeed.
So I haven’t done a rambling list post in awhile, and I figured it was time to submit you to my stream o’ consciousness once again.
1. I’ve been watching Mad Men. A lot. As in I watched all four seasons available to stream on Netflix, and now I am rewatching them. Cuh-razy, I know. But it’s just.so.good. Literally, every minute of it is fascinating, beautiful, disturbing, or touching. Just gets you all emotionally involved and whatnot. And kind of makes you wish chain smoking and alcoholism were still socially acceptable and not so likely to kill you. And don’t even get me started on the clothes. That’s a whole other post that should be coming your way soon. To sum up: go watch Mad Men. Now.
2. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m a terrible Gator fan. I used to be crazy hardcore, camping out for days to get seats at basketball games, tailgating ALL DAY for every football game…and now? Now I haven’t even watched a single game this season, and tomorrow is the first day I’ll be tailgating. All you Gator haters can call me a fair weather fan all you want…but I’m going to just chalk it up to this: I still love the Gators, and I want them to win, but my weekend time is just too precious to lose an entire day to tailgating/game watching. I just don’t like football enough for that. I like the Gators, but not football so much. Yeah, every Gainesvillian is now judging me harshly, but oh well. I even went to see The Help during the last game. I turned into one of THOSE people, and I’m a-ok with it.
3. I’m feeling chatty today apparently. Those were a couple really long paragraphs. Are you still with me?
4. Lexie recently chewed my favorite pair of yellow shoes. Like, chewed the heel right off. So, since putting a positive spin on a negative thing is always a good idea, I decided to treat myself to a brand new pair of red shoes…in addition to replacing the yellow ones. Cuz, that like, totally makes sense, right?
Here are the newbies. I think they will live quite happily in my closet.
5. I’ve decided Zumba is essential to life. I can’t live without it. I have been going 2-3 times a week, and the insane amount of endorphins is addicting. Plus, you get to get your dance on for a whole hour, with no one judging you. I feel redonkulously crunk the entire time and imagine that I look fabulous. In reality, I’m a white girl trying to shake it like a salt shaker and quite possibly looking exactly like that, but in my mind…I’m the CRUNKEST.
6. It’s going to be cold soon (like, tonight apparently), and I’m pretty much twitching with excitement. Tights, boots, coats…come to mama.
7. The next 3 months are going to take years off my life. I’m calling it now. Who is the BOSS at overcommitting? THIS GIRL!
9. My latest iTunes purchases have included Colbie Callait, Ximena Sarinana, Gavin DeGraw (be still my 10th grade heart), Gabriella Cilmi, and Lady Gaga. Colbie is great as usual. Lovely and chill. Still deciding how much I like Ximena’s…the song I posted yesterday is kickin’, jury is out on the rest til I listen more. Gavin is wonderful as usual, although I will never love any of his cds as much as his first. Gabriella is fun, fresh, soulful, and a good listen. Gaga is only so-so. I like a couple songs, don’t like a couple songs. Overall she left me wanting Judas more.
10. I don’t really have anything else to tell you…just didn’t want to leave you hanging at 9. :) Have a happy freakin’ weekend, ya’ll!
first image found here
i’m craving fall. the tights, the boots, the layers (oh, the layers!).
but, i’m still hooked on summer colors. in fact, i’m thinking that i may just rebel completely against fall colors this year. who says you can’t make hot pink and neon yellow look good in the fall? (colorful tights, anyone?) honestly, i think i feel happier on days when i’m wearing something colorful, something with a little punch.
so neutrals, you better become bestest buddies with my brights, because ya’ll are gonna be homies this fall.
(yes, i’m weird.)
check out these color combos…nuetrals+brights=perfect not-so-fall outfit inspiration!